This idea is being used in a number of school across New Zealand as a way of extending student's creative skills. The Passion Projects comes from the Google 20% Time Programme where their employees are encouraged to spend 20% of their time at work on a project of their choosing. Many of Google's best product have begun their lives in this programme.
The Passion Projects fit well with the Oakland's CARE Values as:
- Students show COMMUNITY as the projects may have an impact on the actual community or by students contacting businesses/experts in the community for help/advice.
- Students show ACTIVE THINKING throughout the whole process as they research new knowledge and skills, trial new ideas, seek feedback and create a final product.
- Students show RESPECT as they communicate with experts/businesses.
- Students show EXCELLENCE as they create projects that have value and as they seek feedback to make their project better.
Just to give you a bit of a flavour for the projects being undertaken. Here are some being undertaken:
- How to set up a Photography Business?
- How can we use polarity better?
- How can I design a dream home?
- How can I create a short film?
- How can I create a rap song?
The students have been highly motivated to get stuck into these projects. These projects are only worked on in either the student's own time or when all other learning tasks are completed for the week.
Watch this space for new developments around these projects.